Monday, October 14, 2013

More Notes From the World of Pinterest

Pinterest is definitely a very intriguing place: you just never know what will strike people. I only follow a few boards, and have only a few followers, so these numbers came as a complete surprise to me:
 
1. Scandinavian Interior - originally pinned from Sea of Girasole blog


I love the circular metal fireplace thingy at the back of the room, as well as the clean lines and palette. I thought I was the only one, but apparently not - more than 150 people have repinned it from my board alone. Who knows how many others have pinned it from elsewhere. Scandinavian-inspired interiors are hugely popular.
 
2. Egg Poachers - originally pinned from this retail website


Now I love poached eggs, and it seems so do a few other people. These egg poachers have been repinned over 45 times from my Pinterest food board. I do note that a reviewer pretty much trashed it on the retailer's site, but I think they have potential. Here's why ...
 
3. My Food Pin Remake: Sausage Potato Mushroom Gratin
 
I made this recipe over the weekend (Sunday brunch), and I must say it was rather tasty. I made a few ingredient changes, which I'll cover at the end of the post, and then I added two poached eggs on top. I poach my eggs freeform and while I do a pretty decent job, I think those egg poachers and I are destined to become friends. Here's what the recipe looked like on the plate:


And here are the ingredients I used:
 
8 oz. bulk mild italian sausage
5 oz. organic cremini mushrooms
1 1/2 lbs organic red potatoes, washed, unpeeled, diced
1 large red onion
kosher salt to taste
pepper
generous sprinkling of cumin
1/2 c. chicken stock
about 2 tablespoons Grade B maple syrup
3 heaping fistfuls of monterey jack + cheddar cheese (it was the cheese I had on hand, no swiss as the original recipe calls for)

I found I didn't need all the other spices the original recipe called for - the italian sausage was quite flavorful all on its own. The big addition was the maple syrup, and it's worth it. It adds just the right sweet note to make this dish good-morning-sweet-salty good.

2 comments:

  1. Pinterest is such a useful tool. I like seeing pictures representing a link and I find it's easier to search for ideas that way.
    I love that wooden table. I Pinned that gratin. It looks right up our alley. I'd use fingerlings as my eldest likes those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Scandinavian design. We have a few pieces.... they went much better with our former home (1940's Bungalow) than they do with our current home (1974 Ranch).

    I may have to log on to Pinterest... got a log in a while back, but have never used it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete