Friday, January 3, 2014

2013 - My Year That Was

 
This year's nowflakes I made as gifts. They are becoming a
tradition.
As I write this post, I have a second browser open with the photo montage of my previous year visible, and the sheer breadth of last year still astounds me.

I cannot believe that I managed to publish two design collections (and the summer JAL in my Ravelry group was a definite high water mark for me) as well as have a fistfull of patterns published by others (and more is already in the bag for 2014 - definitely stay tuned). I'm not certain when I actually started to internalize the title "designer" - but it seems to have taken firm hold. I am also so thrilled that I was able to work a yarn booth (with the owner and another designer) at one of the VK Live events, and found time to make projects for both friends and myself. I still thoroughly enjoy knitting and crochet, and this year I plan to do more knitting to even the crafty scales.

I also continued to hone my color and photographic sense and sensibilities, and I am so pleased with my photography abilities. I loved doing the photo shoots for my two collections, and I can't wait to do more of the same in 2014. This past year has also let me know that I need to seriously upgrade my technology. Camera and computer upgrades both will need attention in 2014 (fingers crossed).

I also was amazed at the positive response and press my La Peinture blanket received in the early summer. I wish I had more time to paint (maybe I'll do something about that!), and the ability to join painting, design and fiber was incredibly satisfying.

It was not all smooth sailing: I stopped my moderating duties in the 12 Shawls Forever Ravelry group, a task that I had enjoyed for almost two years. Additionally (and unfortunately right on the very last day of 2013), I also withdrew two designs from a book deal (with a major independent publisher) the contract to which the publisher breached. After an almost two year process, the books are nowhere near ready for publication, and neither the editor nor publisher provided any indication on when they might actually be published. Both of these good-byes were not hasty, and I spent a good amount of time chewing them over before making my final decision (especially the design withdrawals - I, however, felt used and strung along by that entire process). However, in each instance, it was the best thing for me. I continue to support the shawls group with pattern sponsorship, and I wish the publisher, and most importantly the independent designers who remain with the publisher, much success.

In the end, I am grateful for those that I consider friends in the fiber community. Those snowflakes shown above were sent to several of them who have supported me and my designing efforts in a natural and effortless way. No need to cajole or pester - they willingly offer help or support and genuinely are enthused about the Voie de Vie designs. I cannot tell you what that means to me - and like George Bailey, I am truly a richer designer for their support.

I am also thrilled to know I have the capability to bring a design vision to life. It is difficult to put into words on paper how thoroughly fulfilling it is to take an idea and see it to completion all on one's own. There is real freedom in that, and I sincerely hope I experience more of that freedom in 2014.

Now get on over to Andrea's at Wisdom Begins in Wonder and see how everyone else rang in the New Year.

2014 - yes!



4 comments:

  1. 2014 is going to be another banner year for you, mon amie! Si fière de toi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to what you create in 2014. It's good that you found your limits and know when to walk away. You have to do what is right for you and your business. I do love the snowflake tradition. I cherish mine. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing when you start to internalize the "designer" feel. Congratulations on your decision - you are welcome to experience "what would have happened if" vicariously through my experience with the same publisher...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, you've achieved tons last year. Sorry about the deal, but you made the right decision x

    ReplyDelete