Friday, September 11, 2015

Everything is Coming up Flowers

Hello to everyone on this slightly more-sober-than-usual Friday. As we remember the events of 9/11, I am so incredibly fortunate to have missed being near or in the Towers fourteen years ago, as scheduling found me in class and not at my externship at the EEOC, which was located at 10 World Trade and was the third building to go down (later in the afternoon). I thankfully admit that I feel light years away from those events, even though I will never forget that clear, sunny and blue day.

So I'm celebrating the present clear, sunny late summer day with a finished fiber project! Hey, there's nothing like a little fiber to put things in perspective, right? I'm super pleased to show off my completed Gradient Flower Cowl inspired by the palette of the Olympic National Forest:



Close-up of the buttons on my Gradient Flower
Cowl. Yes, those leaves are actually starting to
turn colors.
I love how this turned out! Once I was done with the main body of the cowl, I turned it 180 degrees so the section with more of the blue tones was closer to my face, and the greens/more yellow tones were farther away, and then I added the edging. I'm also super pleased with my button choice. All in all, I plan on getting lots of wear out of this cowl.

I'll leave you with an earlier progress photo of my fingering version. I cannot tell you how much I love this design. I've actually got stash yarn ready for two more worsted weight versions - one in burgundy/reds and another in all greens. Nope, I'm not slightly obsessed with these little motifs. Nope, no siree Bob, not moi.

Have a great fiber-filled and sunny weekend everyone. And if anyone wants to make one of their very own Gradient Flower Cowls, there's a Ravelry thread where some of us are sharing our progress and photos. Well, at least Crochet! Magazine's managing editor and I are doing so, and a lot of people are lurking and watching us. Don't be shy, people - join us!


2 comments:

  1. I like how your cowl turned out. It's representative of the changing colors of fall. I like your buttons; they remind me of Brenda of Phydeaux Designs. I can't believe how long it's been since 9/11. 14 years? Really? I remember going to work and how everyone was gathered in the office watching TV. And there were the Twin Towers being crashed into by the planes. It felt surreal. We had to redirect parents away, telling them school was closed for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone remembers where they were on the morning of 9/11. I also can't believe it's been 14 years.

    ReplyDelete