Saturday, February 18, 2017

Anyone for a Little Weaving With Their Crochet?

Last summer, Jackie Daugherty, the editor at Crochet World Magazine, and I were having a discussion about ways to incorporate different types of fabric with crochet. That conversation led to my playing with a new-to-me, cool tool - a Schacht Zoom Loom - which led to my latest third-party-published design, the Spring Madras Shawl. I am super thrilled to show it off to everyone. While I had no idea this would occur, its publication in the April edition of Crochet World Magazine also just happens to coincide with my 100th published design! Another small pinch-me moment - and I am pleased to have it occur with this light and gorgeously-colored stole.

As you will see at the top left of this post, I snapped and am sharing one of many process photos of me warping and wefting my Zoom Loom. It is very easy, and this design is the perfect introduction to the weaving process. Once you work a few of the woven squares, it becomes an easy primer on successfully manipulating this portable pin loom. Additionally, construction on this stole (woven blocks first, then airy crochet motifs worked later in a form of join-as-you), makes it a great travel project.

I also need to say just a thing or two about the yarn used - Berroco Folio and Folio Color. Initially, it is an oh-so-soft alpaca blend with dreamy colorways. I cannot tell you how much this color combination screams spring to me. Folio comes in 27 solid colors (I used #4545 cove for the crochet joining motifs); Folio Color comes in five self-striping colorways. I used #4595 harpswell for the woven blocks and the colorway takes on added shading and light with this loom treatment.

Berroco Folio colorway cove on the left; Folio Color in harpswell
used for the woven blocks.
I am also really pleased with this design for a second reason: the woven block joining treatment. I truly think this little pin loom has all kinds of design possibilities because the joining method is still, virtually, a blank slate. There are many designs out there in the crafty wild that seam the blocks together, but, broadly speaking, very little else. I have chosen one (in my estimation) obvious crochet treatment that creates a lightweight stole with loads of drape and movement. I think there's a whole world of possibilities - and, of course, I am in the process of continuing to explore that whole, new world!


I want to thank Jackie for having that conversation with me last summer. Everyone can check out this design digitally in the April edition of Crochet World Magazine; it also can be viewed on my Ravelry Design page, along with my 99 other designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment